Wednesday, May 6, 2015

(Not So) Weekly Review #1: Dark City (1998)

Greetings, readers.

     Optiluiz here once more. This is our first-ever "weekly" movie review, so why not start big? Here is my review of Alex Proyas's excellent retelling of the philosophical cave myth. Enjoy...
     First, I'm obligated to tell you that my opinion is a bit biased here... This is one of my favourite movies of all time and I loved The Crow as well, so don't expect any deep negative criticism.
     Now, in case you haven't heard of this movie before, it's basically the Matrix with more brain and less brawn. And it came out a year earlier. A more recent similar film would be "the Adjustment Bureau". Dark City slaps those movies around in their own feces, however, and I still do love the Matrix.
     I won't spoil the plot for you, as this movie works better if you watch it open-minded. Just catch a glimpse at a trailer and go for it. The story is as deep and layered as these things can be, and though I'd love to spoil it here and discuss the minutiae, I think it's best if I just comment on the technical aspects for now.
     This film has the best neo-noir ambience I've ever seen; everything is stylish, yet consistent with the story. The acting is great as well, and the soundtrack was pretty much perfect. I regret not having seen this one in theaters (though I was a child when it came out). It seems as though everyone involved with the film as at the top of their game at the time, and gave this their best.
     Unlike The Crow (which, all things considered, was also a great film), Dark City's qualities go beyond style and slick direction. The running themes of what makes up human identity, and how faulty our memories are make for great post-movie conversations. This is a brainy film if I ever saw one. Another great thing about it is how subtly the subject matter is treated, leaving you to make your own conclusions from what has been presented, and not slathering the viewer in exposition or telling you what to think.
     The climax of this film gets to me every time, the emotional resonance is outstanding. The special effects are also great, and not just for the nineties. This is a different kind of film, one that you'll remember for a long time after you've seen it, and not just for the visuals. I hope everyone gets a chance to watch it at least once. Sadly, I don't own this movie on Dvd or Blu-Ray, but if I ever find it, it's mine. A solid 9.5/10.
     I leave you now with the trailer to Dark City. Also superb.
Chainsaw Cheers,

-Optiluiz out...

PS: If you get the chance, check out the Director's Cut first!

PPS: Actually, the Soundtrack is worth getting as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment