Wednesday, May 6, 2015

(Not So) Weekly Movie Review #5: Drive (2011)

Greetins, readers!

     Optiluiz here for yet another (not so) Weekly Movie Review. This week, we review Drive; starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn. It's a retro-styled tale about a part-time getaway driver getting involved with the wrong people after falling for a married woman.
     Well, I'm listening to the soundtrack as I write this, in a futile attempt to make up my mind about the film. For now, I'll say that it's one of the (if not THE) best movies of the year. Every area of the film just comes together beautifully, under stylish direction and including great retro-synth soundtrack. I suggest you watch this with an open mind, and don't watch too many trailers or interviews.
     Don't let the marketing fool you. This is not an action movie. This is not a racing movie. This is not a gangster movie either. This is a suspenseful character study with some thriller elements thrown in for good measure. The film starts out slow, at least after the nail-bitingly suspenseful opening credits. Some people may find the slow burn boring,and though I can understand why some might feel like that, the build-up is necessary for what comes later. I don't want to give away too much of the story, but such quiet and sentimental moments serve to leave you unprepared for the shocking scenes to come. The script is exceptionally tight, yet contemplative and emotional.
     The acting is perfect, just perfect. Every single actor was inspired by the gods of acting to do their best. Even so, Ryan Goslin steals the show as the enigmatic, nameless protagonist (whom I call 'The Man With No Name', despite his being credited as 'Driver'). He has very little dialogue, but gives such a powerful performance that we are left thinking that more words would destroy such a beautiful role. Though it gives off a very different vibe, some might say that the story can be classified as a classic western, and they wouldn't be wrong.
     There isn't much more I can say without spoiling the film, so that's it for the specifics. However, I should add that this has one of the best movie soundtracks in recent memory. Just listening to the great music in theaters is worth the price of admission. But now, the complicated part.
     I always say that a movie has two pivotal moments that define it. The beginning and the end. The beginning draws the viewer into the film's universe, and the end makes it memorable. At least in theory. Minutes after finishing 'Drive', I gave it 7.5/10, because it builds up so much momentum during the course of the story, and then ends on such a subtle note, which left me frustrated. But then, I started to think about it, and I have been thinking for a while. This film is a masterpiece, one which I will watch again and again. The ending is beautiful, you just have to make all the necessary connections, though it may take a while.
     Overall, this is becoming one of my favourite movies, and I think I'll like it more with every subsequent viewing. All I can say is that you should watch it with an open mind. Expect Sergio Leone, not Scorcese. I give it a 9.5/10. That concludes today's review. Now here's the misleading trailer:

Chainsaw cheers,

-Optiluiz out...

PS: I rewatched this in theaters a few months after the review, and it was even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment