Wednesday, May 6, 2015

(Not So) Weekly Movie Review #2: Los Cronocrimenes (TimeCrimes, 2007)

Greetings,

     Optiluiz here once more with a (not so) weekly movie review. Yesterday, I watched Final Destination 5 in 3D, after having heard it was one of the best in the franchise (Not that that's saying much). However, I really didn't feel that it warrented a review. I like to review lesser known movies, even if I get less views from them, as long as they're worth it. You see, I really enjoy the feeling you get when you recommend an obscure movie to someone and they love it. Anyway, on to the review.
     Timecrimes (Cronocrimenes), is a spanish sci-fi thriller from 2007. It is yet another one of my favourite movies, and with good reason. Nacho Vigalondo deserves all the credit he can get for this film, as it's one of the most stylish sci fi stories in recent memory. The overall atmosphere reminded me of Donnie Darko, though it wasn't as surreal. I watched this film for the first time about a year ago, and it still affects me the same way every time I rewatch it.
     Nacho has created an enjoyable narrative labyrinth, which continues to be fun no matter how many times you go through it. At all moments there is a peculiar vibe to the movie, as if things aren't exactly as they seem. I wish I could say more about the movie, but that would ruin the plot, and I'd prefer it if you saw this movie the same way I did, having only seen one trailer and some guy commenting on how good it was. I guess the only thing I can say is that it's a film about the emotional effects of Time Travel, and how every choice can have strange consequences down the line.
     The cinematography is efficient, yet breathtaking, as is the whole film. This may be a low-budget thriller, but the overall quality doesn't suggest that. Even so, there are some of you that have a certain xenophobic response regarding foreign films. I understand that, however, you'll be the only one missing out on this great film. I'm not sure about the dubbing, but I watched this one subtitled just fine. Then I watched it again. And again. It's that good. I have heard that an american remake is on the way, but I don't think that's really necessary, and I doubt they will be able to achieve the same atmosphere that the original did.
     I really can't find an actual fault in this film. The acting was great, the story made sense, and it was, overall, a great ride. Sometimes, however I did get the feeling that this could have been a bigger movie, with the story working on a larger scale. I'm not sure why, though, because it seems perfect as is. Not every movie needs to about saving the world, right? Well, this one definitely deserves a watch, or maybe even a buy. An outstanding 9/10.
     That concludes today's movie review. Thanks for reading, and here's the trailer for Cronocrimenes:

Chainsaw cheers,

-Optiluiz out.

No comments:

Post a Comment